Saturday, October 30, 2010

Trying to be flexible

I've had some work and vacation travel so I've missed some skating sessions and I haven't caught any of the NHK Trophy yet. Got back to the ice this week and I'm still plugging away at the junior moves. Trying to keep by schedule and my body flexible as I get further into my 30s.
Breakdown of junior moves practice:

Can I be this flexible and pretty?

  • Rockers - outside, left hip does not want to cooperate and causes an icky straight line coming out of the right rocker before getting back to an edge; left side better due to practicing the Rocker Foxtrot compulsory dance as a kid; insides are sweet and edgy but I could go faster, way better than the spring - overall, still enjoy practicing
  • Step sequence - clockwise twizzles are interesting, just trying the remember the steps sometimes - I don't practice this one enough
  • Power pulls - OK, for some reason these have started to freak out me out since the summer. I think I went a long time without practicing these due to the summer ice break and when I started back I did the power pull portion full out then got twisted on the quick rocker, bracket sequence and had some stumbles so now I'm too cautious overall about it - dislike practing these as the pattern is diagonal across the ice; not as good as they were in the spring.
  • Choctaws - can do edgy yet slow or fast but flat, there's no in between I feel like these are the same as they were in the spring; good work for abs when done correctly.
  • Loops - these are fun, I'm starting to connect the loops by change edges; they are another good work out for abs when done correctly. So if my abs don't feel a little squeezed I know I need to do it over.
I'm doing an adult drills class too. I usually do better in a group, my competitive streak kicks in and I want to push harder and skate faster so I was looking forward to this starting up again this season, but we've mostly been working on crossovers. I know, you can always work on the basics and all skaters need to take the time to work on power stroking. I'm hearing my old coach now saying, "The Soviets spend 40 minutes of an hour session on stroking and look how they do!" Ok, ok, I'm just realizing I'm at point in skating that I stay interested learning something new as opposed to refining the basics. I'm not competing or doing a show so learning a new footwork piece just to do it is way more exciting than crossovers. I soooo need to flex my schedule next year to do synchro again.


I need another adult skater to do power pulls with instead of super-bendy 13 year old skaters who then fly into a double jump. I was thinking today I need to help my skating club get more adult skaters. The club is very youth and parent-centric. Whenever I volunteer I'm asked, "Who's your skater?" Um, I'm the skater! People in their 30s who don't coach full time and have a job during the day can skate too. We have a masters synchro team that is mostly coaches, and we have another synchro team of beginners. There's not a place a middle. There are only 5 skaters inlcuding myself who consistently take advantage of adult drills. Since it's a small group Nutcracker show practice can creep onto the ice. Skating is a great way to keep fit in the winter instead of going to a gym and running in place on a treadmill. Those professionals who want to keep fit and challenge themselves may have extra money to contribute to the club if more adult ice time was offered. I'm not quite sure where to start, but finding ways to offer some flexibility to busy, working gals and guys to skate without Nutcracker creep or 13 year olds doing double axels in their faces has got to be a good way to grow club membership and revenue.

No comments: