Friday, December 4, 2009

Dancing At Dawn - Senior Grand Prix Final - Ice Dancing

I hit snooze on my alarm to instead of watching the ladies short. Apparently, Miki Ando won the short by a few points. I heard she was the only one landing triple lutz-triple toes in practice.

Now I'm watching the dance final:

Crone & Poirier - beautiful skate to Queen instrumentals. I've never got her look for this season. Is is supposed to be a Goth ballerina missing part of her top? Anyway back to the beautiful skate, love their edges and expression.

Cappallini & Lanotte - good skate, excellent flowing rockers throughout. They skate to "Requiem For A Dream" which I personally feel is better as a selected piece during a program instead of an entire program. It just creates an angst-filled skate. European judges like angsty which equaled good scores for them.

Kerr & Kerr - Who would have thought "Krwling" by Linkin Park would make a great free dance? Their awesome and creative coach, Evengy Platov did! I love the originality and concept for the brother and sister team. The lifts were strong. I always watch her twizzles, she gets a little wobbly and converts to running 3s especially when her free leg is out. She had that here. However, they just earned a new season's best! Krwling is just angsty enough yet powerful and creative for both European and North American tastes.

Pechalat & Bourzat - They also skate to "Requiem For A Dream" but I thought they looked a little slow this time compared to the powerful music. The lift at the end is interesting, but it doesn't involve skating, he stands still on the ice. However, I like their theme of time throughout. Interestingly enough, they're French and they speak English with their Russian coach as I just heard in the Kiss'n'Cry.

Virtue & Moir - deep edges, soft skater's knees, creative spins, and then there's the lift where she's on one foot balancing on his back and then twirls off.... and then the lift where her tuille gets all in his face... ;) Oh, this program just floats from element to element. It's so enjoyable to watch. New season's best  - above 100 points for the free!

Davis & White - Did they get a standing O? I didn't notice the audience as much in Virtue & Moir's skate, I guess the shot of Davis & White showed more audience at the end... so where they the only ones with a standing O? Oh well, loved the skate. Much more powerful than Virtue & Moir's but then the music is more powerful. I'm biased, I like Davis & White better, but Virtue & Moir definitely outskated them in with their free dance. However, Davis & White are the Grand Prix Champions coming off their lead in the original dance! Woo hoo! I hope they take the feedback from the break down of the scores to become invincible for the rest of the season. I wonder what this will mean for Nationals... they beat the reigning World bronze medalists here and they have consistently scored higher than Belbin & Agosto this season.

OK, must finish getting ready for work and get some Starbucks in me!

No comments: