Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ice Skating at the Rockefeller Rink

Over the weekend, I got the opportunity to skate on the famous Rink at the Rockefeller Center! We got there for the first sessionin the morning, but it was still packed with the holiday crowd. It was still fun weaving in and out of the mass of people on the ice.


It's a tiny little rink with choppy ice from the elements and throngs of skaters. Choppy is manageable when you get to spin and see holiday lights blurring around you.


I did OK in the rental skates too! I managed doing the outside junior moves rockers, spread eagles, half-flip waltz jump combos when there was a gap in the crowd. After I did some power 3s one of the skate guards approached. I thought, "Oh great, I'm going to be told to not do freestyle as more people get on the ice." Instead the guard said, "Wow, hardly anyone attempts real figure skating out here unless they bring their own skates. That was awesome." I suppose that's the best praise you can get when you're skating in your 30s and you're not Nancy Kerrigan. Rockefeller skate guards think you're cool.

I'm now incredibly impressed with skaters who show up on NBC's Today and skate their programs. The rink is small and I'm sure even the best zamboni can't smooth the surface enough. Here are Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto skating today on TODAY:

No comments: