Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dizzy Twizzles and Disappointments

I've spent the past couple of weeks learning twizzles. They're kinda fun. I actually wish I had learned them when I was younger and working on double jumps. Twizzles are a great exercise for rotating on an axis. There's a quick wind up and then you bring everything in and focus on keeping your core up right and still.

Naturally, I'm doing twizzles best rotating counterclockwise on either foot since that's the action for jumping and spinning. Doing them on clockwise is like writing left handed, it feels a bit awkward and I have to think about it more. Clockwise gets me a little dizzy too.

On the down side, I've finally admitted to myself I don't have time for synchro this year. I'm fairly disappointed since I think the team will be great and it keeps me challenged to keep my skating skills sharp with power. However, the master team practices are mid-day to cut down on ice time costs and it's turning into more than a long lunch to make practices. I don't want to be that person on the team that's always late or missing practices. I know I can learn the program and practice my part on my own, but synchro is about being a part of team. I don't think we have enough skaters to have an open adult team this year either with weekend practices either. So no synchro this year.

Guess I 'll have time to get great twizzles.

2 comments:

physics girl said...

I also wish I had learned twizzles when I was young. I don't think I had ever seen them until the Olympics this year. I hope to learn how to do them properly!

Daytime practices for a synchro team? How silly, how can they expect working people to pull that off?
Just curious, if you are not doing synchro this year, what type of skating will you do?

Elizabeth said...

The masters team is made up of mostly coaches and moms that have flexible schedules. There are handful of us with 9 -5 jobs, but most are closer to the rink. It's worked OK, but it does limit who can participate. I'm thinking about the open adult team, but it's not as challenging for me and again, I really don't think we have enough skaters interested this year.

I'll keep working on my junior moves test and I may through in a compulsory dance test to work towards too. Little goals help keep me focused on something to practice.

How is your skating going?