Wednesday, January 28, 2009

US Nationals







I followed US Nationals on icenetwork last week and watch the men's final on NBC.

As expected, Meryl Davis and Charlie White captured their first championship minus the injured Belbin & Agosto. I think they could have won competing against them anyways. They've come on strong this season. Really enjoyed watching the Hubbells, they had some creative moves. I got to see them at the PSA conference in May in a demonstration and I believe they will continue to be interesting to watch develop.
I was pulling for Alissa Czisny to come out on top and she cam through. I know she has worked on being a stronger competitor and her jump technique so I'm glad she was rewarded. I'm looking to forward to seeing her skate at Worlds and I'll root for her to medal... at least a bronze against Mao Asada and Yuna Kim is possible!

Also glad to see Melissa Telecky skate respectably in her first trip to Nationals after seeing her compete in the Louisville regionals and barely miss the cut. Go Girl!

Surprising men's final.... where did Brandon Mroz come from? As I secretly hoped, Johnny and Evan didn't have their best Nationals. Jeremy Abbott won capping off his stellar GP season. Too bad Ryan Bradley couldn't pull it off as well. You have to concentrate during the short program Ryan! I made dinner during Brandon Mroz's skate...whoops. He was in first until Jeremy skated, apparently had the skate of his life.

I also played on a website today that allows you make you own Obama "Hope" poster ala Shepard Fairey. Since US figure skating is going through it's own change in champs with skaters progressing and great hopes for the World Champs I threw in the new champs. Dorky, I know, but what else can you do in the midst of an ice storm in Kentucky?

No comments: