Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson on Ice

With all the Michael Jackson coverage, I keep getting his songs stuck in my head. It's bringing to mind some skating routines:

Katarina Witt - Bad 1988

I remember this one from when I was 9 and first fell in love with skating. Katarina Witt was the coolest and she had just won the Olympics. Plus, there was the whole East German thing and I was just becoming aware of the "Iron Curtain" so I thought it was really cool that this East German chick could do the moonwalk!

Bourne & Kraatz - 2002 Olympic Free Dance

They came into the Olympics the Grand Prix winners, but the podium was not to be for Canadian's Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz. As the Salt Lake City games became know more for the judging scandal than the performances, they probably didn't have a podium chance. The slip at the end sealed that fate. They were coached by Tatiana Tarasova at the time.... theme coming on.

Evgeni Plushenko - 2002 Olympic Short Program

Another skater from eastern Europe with a Michael Jackson thing.

Evan Lysacek - Billie Jean 2009

This is Evan's exhibition piece for the 2008-2009 season. Also choreographed by Tatiana Tarasoa.

No comments: