Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Take: Johnny Weir & Stars On Ice - Much Ado About Nothing

The skating blogosphere has had some heavy traffic this weekend. Unfortunately, the comments and searches haven't been totally related to the World Junior Championships or Junior Synchro Championships and the future of the sport. It's focused on the present, with GLAAD condemning Stars On Ice (SOI) for not selecting Johnny Weir on the 2010 tour. GLAAD says the reason for denying Johnny a spot in the cast is because the tour deems him "not family friendly."

I think the story is ludicrous. First, GLAAD is getting this from an anonymous source. Why did an anonymous person go to GLAAD? Did the source also go to PETA, thinking SOI doesn't want a skater who may offend vegan families by wearing fur? Why is family friendly interpreted to mean straight? Doesn't GLAAD promote families made up of same gender parents? Second, I really don't think the typical audience of SOI really cares about any skater's orientation; they are there to be entertained and watch the best skaters in the world let loose. Third, I think Johnny is better off without SOI as it's not the premier tour it used to be.

I do not know Johnny Weir and I don't know much about his personal life. From what I've read and watched, he enjoys fashion, fur, Russian culture, and neatness. He's a skating purist and crazily talented. He started skating when he was like 12 and won Junior Worlds within four years and was in his first Olympics ten years after taking up the sport. I don't know who he's dating as I've never observed him flaunting that aspect of his life. I seem to always know who Evan Lysacek is dating as he seems to be OK with sharing that side of his personal life. I actually think Evan sometimes goes out of his way to promote whomever he is with. I actually think it's nice to have a celebrity who doesn't flaunt his love life. There are tons of celebrities who seem to keep their careers running by keeping their personal lives in the tabloids or Twitter. I don't think Evan will totally go the tabloid or Twitter route, but in contrast, Johnny keeps this side of his life to himself and I find it refreshing. Plus, since I don't know who Johnny is dating, I can't speak to any orientation, family friendly or not.

I've often heard others talk about Johnny's orientation, speculating that he is gay. Who really cares anyway? Johnny doesn't promote his orientation. Maybe he's protecting a great little wife and their three kids that have supported him since Torino. When asked about his sexuality and speculation that he is gay, he usually responds that it doesn't matter. People should be individuals and not let one aspect of their personality define them. Isn't it family friendly to promote what's unique about an individual while fitting in an ensemble cast? SOI is all about bringing together great individual skaters to create a unique and fun show.

SOI already signed several of this year's cast members prior to the Olympics. This included Olympians Evan Lysacek, Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto. Since the Olympics, they have signed the majority of the medalists and some fan favorites. I'm not sure why they didn't sign Johnny, but he only recently dropped out of Worlds. Perhaps he was signaling he really wanted to stay focused on training and continue his reality series while SOI was making casting decisions post-Olympics. Maybe SOI couldn't deal with a reality series crew on the tour.

I actually think more doors will open for Johnny away from Stars On Ice. The bigger skating markets are in Asia these days and he has already skated in Yuna Kim's shows in Korea on several occassions. He'll have more time to skate in Asia and not be locked into a North American touring schedule. He also loves Russia, and I'm sure he'll have a similar benefit of skating in Russian shows.

Stars On Ice is a great skating institution created by Scott Hamilton. It's the only skating tour around. Of course there's Disney On Ice, but that's more of way for Disney to promote its brand instead of showcasing skating. Then there are the old and packaged Disson Shows that are on TV on winter weekends with  has-been bands and has-been skaters. I think Johnny could fill a void in skating entertainment by creating his own shows. Johnny is becoming a brand himself and has his own style. I think he could attach his name to a new, yet undreamed of show or tour that could pull in new fans to skating. I hope this new world of skating shows comes out this fall - Lady Gaga On Ice anyone? I'm thinking a rock opera with skaters in a frozen world trying to break free....

Let Johnny be.... don't try to box him into a package to push an agenda... when you let Johnny be magic will happen.

No comments: