Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Moving Day

Decent practice this morning; I'm going to be registering to take my Junior Moves In The Field test in May. Yikes! I've not taken a USFSA test in over a decade so I'm more worried about simply going through the test process than how slow my choctaws get at the end.

I figured I'd jot down areas to remember from practice this morning:

Think of keeping hands down in inside rocker pattern. My shoulders tend to creep up, so focusing on hands lower keeps the shoulders in place.

Power pulls, quick turns on left side - we released this morning that as I'm tearing down the ice and look over my shoulder to see if the path is clear is preventing my check before the first set of turns. I need to stay square and then twist my chest and shoulders to the left and get my right shoulder to come with me.

Choctaws - get a rhythm going and think of the 4th position in ballet. Reach back when stepping on the inside edge and follow through with the hip and free leg like the action in a double toe. Good edges and bend, but getting a rhythm will help with keeping some speed.

Since this is out on the web, maybe I'll remember it more! Any stories about USFSA tests or junior moves out there?

Off to work, must call clients in Vienna, Austria and then host a client in the office. I've got to keep moving today on and off the ice.

No comments: